Thursday 5 September 2013

Münzenrieder & WG Britzingen

Two wines, two brief recounts.

Weingut Münzenrieder, Heideboden Reserve 2011, Neusiedlersee, Austria
This is a blend of Zweigelt, Blaufränkisch and Merlot. Dark grenadine with a purple rim. Purfumed, florally and slightly confectionery on the nose. I don't smoke but there may be a hint of loose tobacco. Brambly on the palate with a chocolately feel. The tannins initially come over quite rough and indelicate at first. The wine develops gradually, gaining a slightly smoother structure over 48 hours. The finish is middling at best.

I was genuinely excited by this, a reasonably priced blend of Austria's two best-known red wine varietals plus Merlot, but came away rather disappointed. Not my cup of tea.

Winzergenossenschaft Britzingen, Riesling halbtrocken 2012, Baden, Germany
Very expressive with pink grapefruit, lychee and ginger on the nose. US wine importer Terry Theise would probably find this wine quite fetching in a kinky sort of way, as it almost reminds me of Scheurebe. (If you're wondering what I mean, read Mr Theise's latest Germany catalogue.) This is meant to be off-dry but comes across a bit sweeter than that. As a style, I love off-dry, but this one is a teeny weeny bit flabby as the acidity feels quite tame. This is Markgräflerland for you, I suppose. The Gutedel is normally much better.

Nevertheless, I could drink this again - which is more than can be said for the first wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment