Wednesday 9 June 2010

Putting the cart before the horse

My annual hay-fever bout has just begun. I suspect some sort of grass started to pollenate a few days ago, and I've been sneezing ever since. I tried anti-histamines once as an adolescent, but they didn't seem to do much good. As is normally the case, the worst of the hay-fever will probably blow over within a couple of weeks, so I think I'll just grin and bear it for the time being.

Anyway, other wine from Martin Tesch's winery in the Nahe region - this time a notch up from the Unplugged version I tried in early May.

Weingut Tesch, Karthäuser Riesling 2007, Nahe
Straw hue with greenish notes. A steely nose of lemon sorbet and crushed rock. Anyone familiar with the Lockets throat lozenge in the UK may also be reminded of menthol flavour. Dry as a bone yet mouthwatering and lime-infused on the palate with a certain minerally bitter-lemon finish. Although I do not share the view of many over in Germany that the drier a Riesling is, the more "precise" and "focused" (and, hence, "better") it should be, this wine is admittedly as laser sharp as they come. In a good way, I hasten to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment