Monday 8 March 2010

More than half-decent

So many nice wines to try, and what do I do? I pick a bottle from some local wine cooperative.

Over a year ago, I tried a Pinot Noir from the Haltingen cooperative and, admittedly, wasn't that enamoured. However, interesting developments are afoot in Haltingen. Long-time general manager Gerd Martini recently departed, and now the cooperative is focusing increasingly on its premium range of wines covering Pinot Noir, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Gutedel, Chardonnay, Gewürztraminer and Riesling. I thought I would try the Pinot Gris first.

Haltinger Winzergenossenschaft, Pinot Gris QbA trocken 2008, Baden
All the whites in this collection are with screwcaps. Note the use of the "international" name, as opposed to Grauburgunder. Lovely nose reminding me of sweet red melon. Minerally hints - could this be the influence of the local chalk soils? Bone dry yet fresh, luscious and elegant on the palate. Went very well with chicken leg. To borrow an ever so pretentious descriptor, this wine is quite serious but very approachable. EUR 10.50 from the supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment