Friday 1 January 2010

From the rocks

Happy New Year. I hope it's a good one for everybody.

The first post for 2010 concerns a special wine that was drunk with my family back home in the UK over Christmas.
Weingut Keller, Riesling "Von der Fels" 2008
Much has been written about Klaus-Peter Keller and his famous wines from what, ostensibly, would appear to be the pretty unremarkable hinterland of Rheinhessen. His "G-Max" is regarded as one of the best dry Rieslings in the world, if not the best. Mortals like you and I can but dream of tasting such wines. Coming from a coastal town near Blackpool, it's also hard not to think of a certain rollercoaster at the Pleasure Beach whenever I read the name G-Max, but I digress.

This was the first ever Keller wine I'd tried, and it didn't disappoint. No tasting notes as such here. However, drunk with our starter of mussel soup, "Von der Fels" (or "From the rocks") was a winner on our Christmas table. Of great purity and focus, with a profound mineral core, it gradually opened up in the glass and complimented the soup perfectly. I wish the glass had gone on for ever. The mind boggles as to what the Keller grand crus are like.

No comments:

Post a Comment